After months of trouble-free operation, Citrix Receiver decided to wreak some havoc one morning last week.
Connecting to work (using Firefox on Ubuntu and Citrix Receiver for Linux 13.8) was trouble free as usual.
However, when I then tried to select a PC to remote into, Citrix informed me that …
“You have chosen not to trust Entrust Root Certification Authority – G2. SSL error 61”
At that point, I reflected that what I knew about Citrix and SSL certificates would fit on the back of a fag packet.
After some intensive “research” it should now fit into a short blog post…
Citrix Receiver for Linux has a bug…again
A quick internet search lead me to the Citrix Support site.
Their advice ( perhaps understandably), was to upgrade Citrix Receiver to the latest version.
After some fiddling around – steps for installing on Ubuntu can be found here if you’re interested, I had the latest version.
Now, I’m not sure whether it’s just an unfortunate coincidence or whether I’ve upset the good people at Citrix, but it seems that whenever I install the latest version, there is a Linux specific bug.
So, after about half an hour of messing about, I was back where I started with the same error and the same version of Citrix Receiver.
Attempting to connect via Chrome gave exactly the same result.
Re-installing my certificates
Re-reading the error message, I noticed that it was a specific certificate that was the problem.
Running a search, I was able to confirm that the said certificate is available from Entrust.
Once I’d downloaded the certificate in question, it was simply a matter of putting it where Citrix Receiver could see it.
sudo cp entrust_g2_ca.cer /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/keystore/cacerts/.
Magically, Citrix Receiver was happy again and I was able to connect.
Some points to note for next time
A colleague of mine had the same issue. He is running Debian.
His solution was to :
– delete the files in the Citrix Receiver certs directory :
– create a symlink in the directory from the certificates in
If you’re reading this because you have a similar problem and the first solution doesn’t work, then perhaps this may be worth a try ( backup the certificate files before deleting them though !)
I’m still not sure of the root cause of this issue, although I suspect it may be something to do with browser updates.
On the plus side I’ve avoided having to drag myself into the office…for now.